Sunday, July 4, 2010

What Lies Ahead


What Lies ahead for you? It’s a question that applies to all of us and how you address it will determine if your future if full of grief or growth. Some people over think this question (that’s me) and some people never address it. Everyone will have to reconcile it at some point and it is the few that lead themselves and through the challenges of change. Most result to managing their futures.

So which are you? Let me give you a few items to test yourself.

-Managers assume that things will stay the same thus they manage the status quo.
-Leadership assumes that things will change and they look for growth.

-Managers ride on the back of the change curve.
-Leaders ride on the edge of the change curve.

-Managers get overwhelmed by the size of the task wave in front of them.
-Leaders never see it, because it’s behind them. (from John Maxwell)

The Apostle Paul was a leader of His future and he followed the best leader he could, Jesus Christ and this is what he said about what lies ahead.

“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.” (Philippians 3:12-15)

How do you view your future? Do you manage it or do you plunge deep into leadership?

No comments: