Sunday, April 29, 2012

Give up!...Baggage that is.

Giving up is hard! As a matter of fact it is often the opposite of what life is for an American. We have resolve. We are solid. We never give up! We consider giving up a weakness, a failure something to be scorned or shamed. I guess that is why it is so hard to give things over to God. Even though He is “GOD” if you know what I mean. This big, nothing bothers Him, massive entity in the sky who could not possibly understand or imagine what it means to experience a “give up” moment. Can you remember the last time you had to give something up? I can. I remember big things and small things, every time I was faced with these decisions I found it to be very difficult. From giving up a favorite toy as a child to surrendering a dream to the unknown, giving up, surrender is hard! How could God understand that humiliation; that gut wrenching pain of the loss? Thinking back some years I remember a time when I was faced with such a possibility. As a sophomore in college I was dating my wife and we ran into a crossroads with our budding relationship. It was one of those major impasses that threaten to end our connection. I remember sitting in my car during one of those heated moments of discussion with her and feeling like I was going to throw up. I mean I was about to literally hurl at the very thought of losing Heather. It made me so ill I went back to my room later and just laid out on bed all night. The very thought, very real possibility of “giving up” my relationship with my soon to be wife, seemed to be too much. More than I could bear and so much I felt it physically. I think that is why we carry so many bags from life’s journeys. I think it’s because the many roads we have traveled have not just brought with it experience and memories but a burden that has caused us to walk weighted down. I think it’s because we believe that giving it up is more costly than taking it along. And as hard as it is to carry that bag, it’s as hard if not harder to drop that bag! If that is you, let me share something that helped me a lot! It was the simple scripture that told me… “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses…” (Hebrews 4:15). Who is that high priest the writer is talking about? Jesus Christ! God, who came down to earth to not just experience life through our eyes, but to do it without making a single mistake! Wow, the writer continues … “but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.” Pretty bold statement but one that also brings with it as much comfort as it does boldness. It tells me that I can trust this big, up in the sky God with my surrender and baggage! It tells me, if I will believe it that I can check my baggage with someone who cares and understands ME! That is a good starting point in putting down something that is really heavy. “God, help me today to realize that which weighs me down and to be willing to let it go. I realize that I am not certain if I can let it go. I know there is a lot of concern in who will take care of my baggage, but I want to give it over. I need your strength and delivering power to walk away and be free. Jesus, I receive your freedom for my life, thank you—Amen!” Good start, lets keep following Jesus together!

No comments: