Thursday, February 9, 2012

First Things First

Principle number 1, PUT GOD FIRST!

Ever felt that life is just a copy of the real thing? I mean that as hard as you try to be real, it’s often unreal. The new things we buy fade in their ability to please faster and faster these days. The way we use our money does not bring the returns we had hoped for. The people we had desired to have in our lives have failed us once again and our weeks get filled up with more and more to do.

It reminds me of a man in the Bible called King Solomon and in his assessment of life he called it “Meaningless”. You start something and finish it just to start something else….there has to be more than this.

See this type of living produces three things in our lives.

1. Emptiness
You see, all of us come into this world and because we don’t have that sense of belonging to something greater than this world it creates a sense of emptiness. There is a desire to have a sense of security, but because of an estranged relationship with God, there is a vacuum within our life.
You see, God created you and He created me to serve Him. He created us to have relationship with Him, to put Him first above all other things.

(Psalm 38:8-10) “I am feeble and utterly crushed; I groan in anguish of heart. All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you. My heart pounds, my strength fails me; even the light has gone from my eyes.”

No doubt we have all felt this way at sometime in our lives and I bet you would find that during that time you where struggling to keep God first in your life.

2. Needs
Each of us has needs regardless of how we are prioritizing our lives before almighty God. But often because of the emptiness in our life, we begin to sense the unfilled needs in our lives. They start to take precedence over God and His ability to meet all our needs. No doubt God will fill our needs, here is what Isaiah the prophet said about this.

(Isaiah 58:11) “The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.”

Understand this; the source of my life will determine my course. When we tend to lose our source in God we start to replace Him with other sources, other ways to meet our needs. Instead of having our source in Him, we place our trust in the world and thus we are weakened.

Compounding on top of each other the emptiness and the unfilled needs of life start us worrying.

3. Worry
People worry because they fail to realize their significance and the significance of what they are going through. Instead of saying “WHAT” to God they start saying “WHY”. They add to it by stating things like, “Is this all there is to my life”, “My life is my job, I don’t want my life to be my job”,
“I just can’t seem to get past this”. What they don’t realize is worry is a warning mechanism that God put in us to wake us to the fact we are not putting Him first in our lives.

And Jesus comes on the scene in Matthew chapter 6 and address you and me, people under anxiety and who worry and who basically have a sense of insecurity.

(Matthew 6:25-30) “I tell you not to worry about your life. Don’t worry about having something to eat, drink, and wear. Isn’t life more than food or clothing? Look at the birds in the sky! They don’t plant or harvest. They don’t even store grain in barns. Yet your Father in Heaven takes care of them. Aren’t you worth more than birds?” “Can worry make you live longer? Why worry about clothes? Look how the wild flowers grow. They don’t work hard to make their clothes. But I tell you that Solomon with all of his wealth was not as well clothed as one of them. God gives such beauty to everything that grows in the field, even though it is here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow. He will surely do even more for you! Why do you have such little faith?” “Don’t worry and ask yourselves, ‘Will we have anything to eat? Will we have anything to drink? Will we have any clothes to wear?’ Only people who don’t know God are always worrying about such things. Your Father in Heaven knows that you need all of these. But more than anything else, put God’s work first and do what He wants. Then all the other things will be yours as well.”

Do you see what Jesus is saying? Jesus is saying, “Only people who don’t have God first should have those kinds of insecurities.” Our Lord is laying the gauntlet down that people that are highly insecure and people who have high anxiety are people who have never yet focused in on God as the source of their life.

Jesus said that people that are highly anxiety ridden even think the birds in the air and the flowers of the ground are more significant than them.
And it just puzzled the Lord. He said, “Aren’t you worth more than birds?
Are you not more valuable than the flowers which will be burned tomorrow?” In other words, Jesus says, “When we really lack a sense of significance, it causes us to be insecure and worry and be anxiety ridden.”

Lets take the first step today and put first and put all our emptiness, unmet needs and our worries in His hands today. Pray with me.

“Jesus help me to live my life with You first and You always first, I ask forgiveness for not doing this and pray I would surrender my ways to Your ways. In Jesus name—Amen!”

No comments: