Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Who Replaces YOU?

Who is someone that believed in you and encouraged you while you were growing up? Comon, there has to be someone. Research has shown us that we are molded and shaped by these experiences and mentors or role models have a significant impact on our development.

Their belief in you shaped you into who you are today. For me my first “believer” in me was my 6th grade History teacher, Mr. Shipley. See the short version of the story was I loved to play with my G.I. Joe action figures (a lot) and I did so all the way into Jr. High. What I did not realize was how much that love would impact my social status among my peers. I was consistently ridiculed as being a baby for playing with toys! One day before history period started my classmates where belittling me about this when Mr. Shipley came in to start the class. Overhearing the verbal onslaught, he stepped up to the plate and begins his lecture defending ME!!!!

What was this, someone that believed in me! It changed my outlook on life, that my teacher would stand up for me and additionally correct my classmates as to their misunderstanding that my desire to play with toys was actually admirable (funny how we never lose that in us, just buy more expensive “adult” toys).

A small incident like this shaped me to this day, so much that I remember the entire event as if it was yesterday. As powerful as negative experiences are, “Believing” experiences out class those by miles. I remember this incident not as a negative experience, but as an empowering, lifting moment in my life. From then on out I knew that if I believed in myself that nothing was impossible. I later learned the second half to that statement that “in Christ all things are possible”, but that is another story.

Take some time and read Mark 1:9-20. In this passage you see God’s approval of His son Jesus. If offers us a great example of mentorship and belief in another person. Listen to God the Father’s words,

“You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

Wow, what an affirming statement, one that any person would love to hear, let alone from the loudest sound system in the universe, (A voice came from heaven). Jesus then continues this pattern in this chapter by calling 12 unlikely men to become His disciples and do life together with Him.

So take it full circle and ask yourself these questions:

• What things can you learn about influencing others by the example Christ gave us in the way He called His disciples and in how He interacted with others?

• Describe a time when someone took a chance on you. How did you grow from that opportunity?

• Who are some of the people that are currently influencing you in a positive way? How is their influence impacting your life?

• Why do think this generation struggles so much with such temptations as a sense of entitlement and arrogance towards the truth?


NEXT STEPS
Here are some specific things you can do this week that will help you become the type of positive influence on others that God has called you to be:

Identify the person or people that you feel God has called you to influence. Take your next step in beginning that process. For example, if you feel called to influence teenagers, consider volunteering with our church youth ministry as your first step. If you feel called to influence young adults, consider leading a LifeGroup. One of the most important ways you can prepare yourself to expand your influence towards others is ensure you are being a positive influence in your most important relationships. This week examine those relationships with such people as your spouse, children, family, friends and co-workers and see where you can improve your influence in these relationships.

No comments: