Friday, October 1, 2010

Money, Money, Money, Moooney


Money, Money, Money. The mighty dollar, the money tree, all of us could use more, right? Honestly, I thought growing up in mid-America that all I had to do was just earn enough money and I’d be set! I have sensed realized money only comes as I manage it well. Well then if management is the key to money, not making more, then who measures my progress? Is it my banker, my broker, my dad, my mom, my spouse? All of them only see a limited view of my finances and none of them see my heart. Only God sees the heart of mankind and sees the damage done by the dollar.

When God sees your heart, what does He see? When God puts forth a call to give, what comes out of our hearts? In 2 Chronicles 31 there is an interesting passage, you need to read the whole chapter to get the focus, but notice these verses…”He ordered the people living in Jerusalem to give the portion due the priests and Levites so they could devote themselves to the Law of the LORD. … and Azariah the chief priest, from the family of Zadok, answered, "Since the people began to bring their contributions to the temple of the LORD, we have had enough to eat and plenty to spare, because the LORD has blessed his people, and this great amount is left over." Hezekiah gave orders to prepare storerooms in the temple of the LORD, and this was done. Then they faithfully brought in the contributions, tithes and dedicated gifts. … This is what Hezekiah did throughout Judah, doing what was good and right and faithful before the LORD his God. In everything that he undertook in the service of God's temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered.”

As cool as this passage is I wonder why the order had to be given in the first place? What pulled them away from their devotion to God in giving? I wonder if their lives took their hearts. Hard times, busy times, changing times and legitimate issues caused them to forget the very fundamentals that would keep them long term. I encourage you not to forget the principles God has spoken to you. Remember that giving to God secures your heart as His.

Lets obey His financial advise, lets all consider what we are to bring into the storehouse of LHC and faithfully bring that so that this church can do all God wills for it to do and have more than enough.

Here is a commitment you can use as a way to connect this lesson to life, seek to do these 5 things:
1. I recognize that all I have comes from the hand of a gracious God. God owns me and everything I have and I will always check with Him first.
2. I will give the full tithe to the church that I’m called to worship in and more as the Spirit guides.
3. I will demonstrate discipline with my spending and live by the 10-10-80 principle. (10% to God, 10% to Savings, 80% to live on )
4. I will avoid debt so that His money doesn’t go to the wrong place.
5. I will make an effort to be generous on every occasion.

No comments: