Thursday, October 14, 2010

Flying with Friends

Every time I get on an airplane I am amazed! I don’t get scared, I just am amazed! Maybe it’s because as a youth I flew often in my dad’s private plane and being in the sky was as normal as zits and girls. So flying amazes me, I am amazed at the machine that flies me to my destination (I always touch the outside of the plane when I board. I love thinking my handprint is flying 50,000 feet in the air). I am amazed at the cockpit, amazed at the point in which the air flow takes over the weight of plane. I am amazed at the thrust once we lift off as I am pushed back in my seat. I am amazed at the view, amazed at the speed and amazed at how people treat it as common, until something goes wrong. The ability to travel through the air is a special gift and as much as it amazes some; for most it is a commodity. In the same manner friendship is amazing and a very special gift.

As I write this I am spending time with my best friend. Years ago the LORD brought us together through unusual circumstances. In the many years that we have known each other I have come to understand the vast ocean of good friendship. As I sit and enjoy the wonderful nature of a good friend, I reflect on how many times he and his family have been there for us. They have helped us with perspective, prayer, and purpose. They have stood by us through it all as have we have for them. We have helped each other when our hearts are heavy, when our hope is high and when our heads are hurting. We are true friends and God’s glory shines through us even though we hardly ever see it. We are just good friends.

Just like sitting in amazement as I fly, good friendship amazes me. Friendship is a unique relationship. But most treat their friends as common until something goes wrong. Your friendships focus you and open doors that are not available unless that friendship exists. I guess this is why Jesus gave us this promise to those that believe in Him and follow Him.

“I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” (John 15:15)

What friends do you have? Are they hurting or helping your life? Maybe it’s time to start over. I suggest you begin with the best friend of all, Jesus! Pray to Him today.

No comments: