Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Good Fish Story!


Re-read John chapter 11 when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. And go to Living Hope Church if you want to recap what was said in the message by Pastor Paul on Sunday.

Two weeks ago while I was on vacation with my family the dads determined that our time with the kids would be best spent taking them fishing. So we packed up the poles, tackle and bait and headed off towards the lake. Now I want you to imagine two dads, four kids and four fishing poles – we were outnumbered! My friend John and I spent the entire time keeping these extremely excited kids from hooking each other in the head. But they did well and all together we must have caught about 400 fish!!!! Na, that’s just a “fish story” but the kids where hooking fishing right and left – it was a great time! The highlights of the adventure were when the oldest (Brennen) caught a big catfish and my daughter caught a big mouth bass that was close to 2 feet long with a Princess Pole! I have never caught a bass in my life—geeze what luck.

Not to be outdone, I went to work in my specially picked spot. I cast my line, got a hit and started to bring her in only to lift up an empty hook and no worm. “That fish ate my worm!!” It’s funny how I got mad, isn’t that what they are supposed to do?? Anyway, it gets worse, two, three, four worms eaten by this fish. Now I am really getting mad, I am determined to hook this fish. So I cast again, he nibbles, I wait, he nibbles more, I drag the line, he bites and I wait, bites down again and I yank that line hard!!! “Ha, Ha I got him!” and I start reeling in; convinced it’s a big fish. As I pull it up this little 6 inch blue gill all I can say is “AUGGH”. Dad’s first fish that ate four worms and to top it off it is the smallest of the bunch.

Let me tell you I hooked this little guy good! When I went to let him go I realized the hook was down deep and then I hear, “It’s bleeding!!!” Sure enough the hook was so deep my little fighter was bleeding allot! So I tell the kids, “sorry guys, but this one is going to die!” And the response comes back, “No, don’t kill the fish dad!” I say, “guys it’s the way of life and fishing – some die!” As I unhook the fish I let the kids look at it and place it back in the water where the kids where playing. At this point the kids are really upset, telling me I am a fish killer. I told them that I could not save him, the hook was too deep.

Now, because the kids where playing in the spot I placed the fish the water was muddy, thus you could not see the dead fish (I did this on purpose). But the kids were still upset and it got worse when the fish popped up out of the muddy water. They kept screaming for me to help it so I go over and as I do the fish rights itself in the water and starts to flap one fin. Hanging out in the now clear water the fish just sits there, dazed. Before I know it, he darts off just as happy as he was before this all took place. Then I hear my daughter say, “Daddy you killed the fish, but Jesus raised it from the dead!” I still get a good laugh over that, so true! My efforts often kill things, but Jesus always brings life.

What things in your life are dead that need the resurrection power of Jesus Christ? You might be in muddy water today waiting to die, only to find that God is not done with you yet. He pulls you out of that muck and mire and breathes new life into you. And before you know it you are happily swimming once again in life. But it all starts with allowing God to breathe His life into us.

Just for today, stop what you are doing and ask God, “Father, I want your life in me. Fill me today in Jesus name!” Amen, that was a great prayer!

“You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.'” (Acts 2:28)

No comments: