Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spinning


Re-read Mark chapter 14 when Jesus walked on water. And go to Living Hope Church if you want to recap what was said in the message by Carlton Matthews on Sunday.

I was once told in the world of business, “don’t walk on water boy, cause once you do people will expect it of you.” Well, I know I always did my best when I went to work but I don’t think that my efforts ever came close to the physics bending miracle of actually walking on water.

What did they mean? Well the phrase was referencing something out of the ordinary. Something extra-ordinary, something supernatural; not natural. All of us desire to see, experience something like this in our lifetime. Yet the kicker is the consuming nature of normal life.

Our circumstances in life easily consume us and keep us from seeing the road ahead clearly. We stumble like a person with little strength left and totally disorientated. I watched a documentary on how men are selected to become Green Bret’s (One of my uncles was one-I respect that man!) and I was amazed how quickly these soldiers were broken. One by one they voluntarily disqualified themselves. What was breaking these harden warriors down? The drill instructors were not screaming in their faces, no they had found a better way to break a man down. They would change their circumstances around, having them role around on the ground and line up and role and pick up a 1,000 pound log and drop it and roll around again. You think, “ahhh-that’s nothing!” Well it was something because many men stronger and better than us where crawling out of that pit of disorientation – broken!

Peter found himself in a similar situation. Focusing on Christ, his life, purpose and direction were clear. But the wind and waves reminded him of his past. He thought “I can’t do this, I can’t walk on water”, reason began to take hold. I could imagine it was even more difficult for Peter being a fisherman. He knew all there was about water, waves, boats and the dangers of the open water. His knowledge took over and his faith took a back seat. And as that transfer occurred his feet simultaneously began to surrender to the waves.

Stop trying to find yourself, lose yourself in the sight of Jesus. We do best when we lose our pride and find His eyes. Fix your eyes on Jesus only in this life! There is nothing, and I mean nothing that will compare to the vision you see when you look into His eyes. Whisper His name, Jesus, call out His name, JESUS, shout out His name JESUS!

“Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.” (Proverbs 4:25)

No comments: