Sunday, May 13, 2012

Emotional Baggage


This past week we talked about the emotional moments that we carry each day.  Those negative emotional bags that redefine who we are and take us away from who God made us to be.  So the question is “Who am I?  That is often the silent question that is asked in your honest moments.  “Who have I become”, “Why do I do this?”

The world defines a person often in what they do or perform and it often deeply affects a person’s beliefs about themselves.  Take some time to explore this in depth…

On what do we usually base our identity? What does God base our identity
on? (See John 1:12-13; 3:6; Romans 8:9,-10, 16-17a)
Read 2 Corinthians 5:16-17, 21. What is true of every person in Christ? According
to Ezekiel 36:25-27, what has changed? Is this change something
we do, or something God did? Explain your answer.
When you don’t know who you are, you won’t know what to do. How do our
beliefs about ourselves affect our behavior? Give an example.
Not believing that we are fully forgiven leads to shame and guilt. Read Colossians
2:13-14. How many of your sins were nailed to the cross? What did
God do with our sinful nature (old self)? See Romans 6:6. How would believing
that we are totally and completely forgiven make a difference in how
we see ourselves?
Read Romans 7:20-21, 24-8:2. What reason does Paul give for there being
no condemnation for the believer who is still struggling with sin?
Read Romans 8:31-39. How secure is the person who has put his trust in
Christ? What if we struggle with doubts (see 2 Timothy 2:13)?

Who are you?  Better yet who are you in Jesus?  Yep, Jesus changes the game of identity.  It changes it because you are forgiven, complete and secure.  There is often a contradiction between our new identity in Christ and how we think and feel about ourselves, which affects the way we live and what we do. The truth of who we are in Christ becomes our experience as we renew our minds (Romans12:2) and agree with God. Check any statements below that describe how you often think or feel about yourself. Then look up the corresponding verses and write out what God says is true about you. Each time you recognize that you are thinking an old belief, reject it and agree with what God says. Ask God to show you how to act on this truth,  and trust the Holy Spirit to empower you.
__I feel weak and powerless. (Philippians 4:13; 2 Timothy 1:7)
__I am unloved and un-loveable. (Ephesians 2:4-5; John 15:9)
__I feel guilty. (Colossians 1:14,20; 2:13-14)
__I am not good enough. (Hebrews 10:10, 14)
__I feel inadequate. (2 Corinthians 3:5-6)
__I am a fearful and anxious person. (2 Timothy 1:7)
__I am a disappointment to God. (Zephaniah 3:17)
__I am not very smart. (1 Corinthians 1:30; 2:16)
__I am worthless and don’t deserve anything. (Isaiah 43:3-4; 1 Peter 1:18-19)
__I am not special or important. (Zephaniah 3:17; Ephesians 2:10)
__I am a sinner. (Colossians 1:22; 2 Cor. 5:21)
__I feel responsible for my life. (Phil. 1:6; 2:13; 2 Thess. 3:3)
__I feel like I never measure up. (Romans 15:7)
__I don’t have enough ________________. (Philippians 4:19; Ephesians 1:3)
__I am unwanted and don’t belong. (Ephesians 1:4-5; 1 John 3:1-2)
__I feel condemned. (John 3:18; Romans 8:1)
__I am alone with no one to take care of me. (Heb.13:5b; 1 Peter 5:7; Psalm 91)
__I have no plan or purpose for my life. (Jer. 29:11; Eph. 2:10; Ps. 38:23)

No comments: