Thursday, September 29, 2011

"I Feel"

So many times I have heard this phrase "I Feel". I have even utter it myself thousands of times. Now each time that phrase sputters past my lips I cringe. Why? Well it's simple, feelings are the most unstable platform for making any decision, ANY! At best I have observed a 50/50 track record on the "I feel" decisions (I am being very generous here). Yet it's what we use as our primary filter for entertainment, job decisions, family relationships and our obedience to God. I bet you have your own story of how feelings left you torn and tattered behind the bumper of an emotional drag racer!

What might be a better way to live? It seems a better way is to still feel as a human does, but then subject those feelings to God's calling! In other words, what has God called you to do or be in this situation that transcends feelings? To give you some meat for this so you don't disguise your "Calling" decisions in more cloaked feelings, look for these things before making decisions in life:

1. In inward urge of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:14), Scottish proverb “It’s better felt than telt”. It’s an experience you can’t describe.

2. A definite word from the Scripture. (John 7:17) It serves to deepen your conviction of that urge.

3. A burden in your heart. (John 4:35). Everything God does draws back to bring people into the kingdom, so will be your calling.

4. Advice of Godly Christians (Gal 2:2). Nothing significant accomplished in human history was ever done alone! Others discernment will serve you will and you will prosper.

5. A mentor that comes alongside to equip you. (2 Tim 4:11). The words and actions of a gifted and spirit-led leader that has gone before you will help you through the most difficult times. (Your pastor, parents or a friend that is more spiritually mature than you)

6. Divine ordering of events by God. (1 Cor 16:9). God will use His providence to seal the deal that you are heading in the right direction.

Use these filters the days of feeling frustrations will be finished forever! (5 F's in one sentence must be a record!)

No comments: