Monday, August 22, 2011

R.I.P. Rest In Peace

R.I.P, stand for Rest in Peace. A common term used for a person that has passed away from this life. It denotes two things for us still living; one that there is no peace and two that there is no rest. And because of the urgent that is tyrannical we live as if this is true. Phrases like “no rest for the weary” come into view and I begin to live as if rest is nothing more than the time my head finally hits the pillow.

But rest is much more than this. Rest is about recreating in your life that which has been depleted. It’s about discovery and diving deeper. It’s about taking your time and experiencing joy that is often hidden. It’s about being active! What active? Yep, resting is not about being lazy or doing nothing, proper rest includes some activity.

John Lubbock said Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time”

Proper rest includes some type of action, but usually it’s applied at a different pace. The pace we currently live at today is amazing. A single page of the New York Times contains more information than a 1920 American would see in an entire year! All of this makes us think that rest and peace are not attainable.

I have found that living in the 21st century this seems to be true, but in the middle of the mess I found that rest. I found it in a man named Jesus Christ. I never expected to find rest in what seemed to just be another man-made religion. Jesus’ life listed in Scripture has taught me how live as God intended mankind to live. I have found promises that have sheltered me from storms and strength beyond my understanding. By the way, I found that rest and peace too.

A relationship with God brings so much more than it takes away, it’s the best transaction a person could make, so why don’t more people take Jesus up on His offer of living an abundant life?

I think it’s because we fall short in trying to do things on our own. Give it a try today, give over your busy life to God through His son Jesus and enter His rest.

(Hebrews 4:1-2) “Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it…”

No comments: