Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Everything, really?

There is this concept in the Net Testament about my life verses the life that Christ offers. Jesus said that those that seek to save their lives will end up losing their lives and those that let go and lose their lives will end up saving them (Matthew 16:25, Mark 8:35 & Luke 9:24). See this idea of surrendering my life to a bigger cause has a lot of appeal to me. On many levels it’s noble, almost romantic and it definitely has a draw. I mean who would not want to put on their resume that I lived for the cause of others. We all still have enough sense to know that is better than living for oneself.

Yet it really messes with me, this idea to die to my desires and live for what Christ desires. It’s more than just living a charitable lifestyle. This challenge to let go of my life and allow His life to take control is hard. If you struggle with this like I do, maybe it’s because we have yet to do what the disciples did.

Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you!” (Matthew 19:27)

Everything…everything, boy that’s a big word and often our biggest problem. See my struggle to live for something beyond myself lies in the desire to remove myself from the equation. Since the invitation to follow Jesus is open to anyone and that means everyone, then our excuses to not leave everything are gone. Each break of a new day, Christ stands beckoning for us to die to ourselves and to live for Him. I guess that is why the Apostle Paul stated this point in Roman 6:8, Philippians 1:21 and 1 Cor. 15:31. He said in those three passages that our death brings us true life, that in order to gain in this life we must die to ourselves and that it is a constant, daily task. I must die so that Christ can live in me. It’s hard but so necessary.

So how are you doing today? What desires, what things, what is in the way of Jesus today? Remember you won’t truly live until you leave everything behind. Maybe it’s best addressed by asking what has been the best part of your week? If you answer is a moment you can point at that demonstrates you are dying to yourself and Christ is living in you, I think you are well on your way. On the other hand if it’s a moment of personal satisfaction or self-gratitude you might want to go back and seriously wrestle with these passages and figure out what “everything” you have yet to leave.

No comments: