Monday, January 31, 2011

Treasures

So If I was to ask you what must I do to invest in that which will last, what would you tell me to do? It’s a wide open question that could be overloaded with a ton of answers and applications. You might think my best shot would be to build a financial portfolio so my family has something to fall back on. You might tell me to spend more time at home and play with my kids more. You might say find who you really are and be true to yourself.

All good thoughts, but honestly I think I would be leaving our conversation just as frustrated as I came into it. The true application to find the answer comes down to three things I mentioned on Sunday.

1. God Matters (No matter what or where you go, the moment you stop you will be staring at God.)

The Lord is … patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2 Peter3:9)

2. People Matter (George Otis Jr. stated once, “Save the lost at any cost because people last forever”. I believe the only thing that is currently on planet earth that will last beyond time and history are people, even our planet will one day go away)

[ A New Heaven and a New Earth ] Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away (Revelation 21:1)

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them. (John 3:36)

3. Eternity Matters (There are few things that will help us here and now in the temporal than having a clear understanding of something much bigger and better. It will propel you past most barriers and give you a focus few have. Keeping your entire life in the spotlight of eternity will do that for you.)

[ Awaiting the New Body ] For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. (2 Corinthians 5:1)

Jesus told us in Matthew 6:33 “…seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. In order to seek first that which will last forever let me give you three more ideas. I encourage you to make this commitment to God today. Give Him three “I will’s” and let Him give you the path and strength to fulfill those.

1. I will guard against materialism

2. I will be generous

3. I will focus on what matters

“Father help us all to walk your path of life and as we step closer to thee let your Glory melt away all that we hold so dear in order to embrace that which we so need. I pray many would be swept away today in You alone! In Jesus Name!”

No comments: