Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Moving Forward


Walking with God can come with many obstacles. The world may throw a few your way and satan chimes in frequently but the biggest violator is me. Often I am my own worst enemy. The apostle Paul understood this when he said: "...I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" (Romans 7:23-24)

I stumble and usually I fall. Why? Well my abilities to resist are weak at best and I usually put myself in the worst possible scenario for sin. Take ocean waves for an example. If you have ever stood in the ocean you know that no matter how hard you try to resist their force there is a wave out there that has your name on it. Usually it's the rogue wave you don't see coming, but make no mistake you will be wiped off of your feet at some point if you stay in the water long enough. To avoid being knocked down by the wave you have to remove yourself from the ocean entirely.

And that is my point. As long as we are in the world, just like standing in the ocean, we will eventually get knocked down. The rogue wave with our name written on it is coming. This is a huge problem in making progress in our walk with God. Instead of asking for forgiveness and learning from the event we get frustrated and angry and start shutting down emotionally. If we don't stop we risk shutting down every dream, hope and vision for our lives. We risk getting stuck, losing our Godly momentum. Instead of getting out of the ocean we try to stand in the ocean and fight the waves. Big mistake!

I want to encourage you today to grow in your faith and in your relationship with God. To do this you have to draw closer to Him which means you have to have less of this world and more of Him. The choice is yours, stand in and fight that which is stronger than you or give up so you can grow up in the one that calms the waves!

"He must become greater; I must become less." (John 3:30)

No comments: