Saturday, September 5, 2009

"Me-Monster"


There is a battle I fight each day, it’s inside me, a monster that must be consistently tamed. I see this same mini-monster in my kids. Last night a new toy entered the house and there was only one! It means that they have to share. Ohhh that dreaded toxin to the “Me-Monster”. I have to share what I have, instead I try to keep it all to myself and that feels so much better! Luckly my kids have some awesome parents (ha-personal joke) but we do our best to help them tame this “Me-monster” and learn that life is better when they share what they have.

It’s being a generous person that is embodied in maturity. A person that has allowed themselves to be placed second finds a life that few discover. It’s actually a better life and one that teaches the lessons of success. People like J.D. Rockefeller learned this lesson and here is what he said about being generous.

“I never would have been able to tithe on the first million dollars I ever made if I had not tithed my first salary, which was $1.50 per week.”

“Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.” (Deuteronomy 15:10)

This week, make sure to put the things you have into proper perspective, keep your focus on eternity when it comes to your life and look for opportunities to give.

No comments: