Friday, March 20, 2009

I do or I don't?


August 11th, I said the words “I do” looking into the eyes of my beautiful wife. Those words changed my life. Two simple words that when said had not been lived yet. Honestly it’s easy to say something but hard to live it out. Why? Well, large in part it’s due to life! That pesky “IF” in the middle of the word. It seems to really get in the way of our “I do’s”.

Two years later in a townhome thousands of miles away from that church, I was faced with the question again. I did not realize it until later, but I our marriage was at that point of decision again and I had to determine if I was going to say “I do” or “I don’t”.

Many couples today live with an “I don’t” hidden away in their hearts towards the one they promised to cherish and love. Most of the time we cover it well, but it still comes out in moments of frustration when our selfish motives churn up the waters of “me-ism”.

I had to make that choice the day we got married and to my surprise I had to make that choice again two years later. The first time was for the cameras the second time was for my commitments. I am happy to tell you I said “I do” all over again even through selfishness, through my pain. I have never regretted saying those words and never will. As a matter of fact I committed to saying those words over and over as needed in my marriage

Some of you today have either told your spouse “I don’t” or have determined in your heart this destructive vow. I challenge you to be honest about it and ask your spouse to forgive you. Then commit to saying “I do” all over again. This tends to the tree of your marriage and the fruit that has been missing will return.

“He who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit…” (Proverbs 27:18)

No comments: