Monday, December 22, 2008

I'll Be Home For Christmas


What is home? What do you think makes a place “home” for a person? My son Nathan always says “I want to go home!” Lately he has said that phrase to us at the oddest times, like when we are actually at our home! So it got me thinking, “what is my son saying when he states “I want to go home”?”
I think what is coming out of my four year olds’ mouth is a statement much deeper than what he or even I can comprehend. He is expressing the difference between a place you happen to live and a place you feel of as home. Because he is only 4 years old it is most likely not that home is based on history and it is not his external conditions of being home because often he says this sitting on the couch in our home.
Home for him is a relationship with each member of his family, mom, dad and sissy! Often he prays that God will bring home safely mom or dad whenever we might be gone because he misses the relationship.
In the same manner home for us is just like this, we might consider it a place, a feeling of security, a group of people we call family, but really it’s about genuine relationships. See for Jesus home is a place called the hearts of all mankind. Sure He is in a place called Heaven, but He was so homesick that He came to be with us so we could be where He is. Because He came we no longer are separated from Him!

Where is your home? I pray your heart finds its way home for Christmas in the arms of our Heavenly Father through the Christ child.

"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" —which means, "God with us." (Matthew 1:23)

No comments: