Friday, February 15, 2008

Joe's Vs. Barbies


I exited the door of my bedroom, headed down the hallway and turned left to descend two flights of steps in our split-level home; a boy of seven on a mission of revenge. A battle had been raging between myself and my two older sisters and it had gone too far. Once they stole the GI Joes and hid them that was it! My anger bubbled, my rage intensified as I entered their bedroom. You see I had faked sickness so I could stay home and rescue my troops from the enemy and return the favor by sabotaging “Barbie central”. What happened next is the stuff of legend in the annals of war between brothers and sisters. Let’s just say I got them back, oh yeah!

For some these incidents create close bonds, for others they are just a small example of the tearing of trust towards other human beings. It’s another brick on the load of unforgiveness. Soon that load becomes too heavy to handle and just like trying to balance a lopsided wheel barrel we too often struggle to manage the weight of unforgiveness. Yet, it’s a balancing act we where never intended to perform. This world was not designed to have sin rip it to shreds and breed aggressors and produce victims. Its original design was innocent and beauty. Humans were not created to deal with these issues, we can’t handle them properly. Even today with all our enlightenment we still struggle with the basics of humanity. The ability to forgive is elemental and essential. What unforgiveness are you balancing? Dump the load today and let Jesus handle the balancing.

(Colossians 3:13) “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”

No comments: